get a more precise handle on your Social Security benefits, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 and ask for Form 7004, which allows you to receive a record of your reported earnings and an estimate of your Social Security benefits. You can also visit the Social Security Administration website at www.ssa.gov. Check your earnings record, because occasional errors do arise and surprise they usually arent in your favor.Planning
your personal savingsinvestment strategyMoney youre saving toward retirement can include money under the mattress as well as money in a retirement account such as an individual retirement account IRA, 401k, or similar plan see Chapter 11. You may also earmark investments in nonretirement accounts for your retirement.Equity the difference between the market value less any mortgage balances owed in rental real estate can be counted toward your retirement as well.